Tuesday, July 9, 2019

the urgencies that deserve to claim you

A journey can become a sacred thing.
Make sure, before you go,
to take the time to bless your going forth,
to free your heart of ballast so that the compass of your soul
might direct you toward the territories of spirit
where you will discover more of your hidden life,
and the urgencies that deserve to claim you.
                                                                                    John O’Donahue

June 30

Soon after I moved back to New Camaldoli in November 2012, Fr. Robert decided he would resign as prior if I was willing to step in––or not! I said I assumed he would finish out the term (four and a half more years) or at least do three years, or could he at least do another year to let me settle in or at least six more months. It was like Abraham negotiating with God. He settled on six months. At any rate, when I was elected, I assumed that I was finishing Fr. Robert’s term, which would have meant until January 2018. I was however dissuaded of that notion by the Prior General Alessandro Barban when I asked him about it. He said, “No.” The same in both languages. Our Constitutions, he explained to me carefully, call for the prior to serve six years, and so until July 2019, which would have been now. I was not pleased about that. I thought that maybe there was a slim chance I could slip out of the role in January of 2018!

Then sometime in late 2017 Alessandro wrote about his upcoming trip to America in January of 2018, and he said among other things we would have the election of the prior. I said, “Aspetta! Wait a minute! You said I had to serve until July 2019!” He said, “Scherzi? Are you kidding? All the priors resign after General Chapter” which was to be in October of 2017. Sigh. He did give me the option of serving out until July and then doing a re-confirmation, but he did not recommend it because he wanted New Camaldoli to be in sync with the other communities of the congregation. And so after some (!) soul searching, I decided to put myself up for re-confirmation last year in January. That being said, I already had my heart set on a sabbatical for July 2019 and I decided to take it after all, a short one, three months. When I come back it will really only be four and a half years remaining of this mandate.

I pulled off the property last Thursday, the 27th of June. It had been a full week leading up to that, as most weeks are anyway, just this one with a particular poignancy––making sure all the bases were covered, setting things up Fr. Zacchaeus who is acting prior while I am gone. Then there had been a good Financial Advisory Board meeting down in San Luis Obispo and a brief visit with the good folks at Caltrans (the ones responsible for the maintenance of Highway 1 and currently doing work on Paul’s Slide which is contiguous with our poor falling entry road). That included dinner and a night’s stay with the brothers down there at the Monastery of the Risen Christ. On the weekend I helped lead a retreat on Abhishiktananda, mainly headed up by Jacob Ryeff, a young professor for Milwaukee who recently published a collection of Swamiji’s poetry called In the Bosom of the Father. That went quite well, and I was pleased to bring some attention to that part of our legacy again. The Bede-Bruno library-archive (I still need to find a better name for it) was well visited and highly appreciated that weekend. We also had a group session for the monastic community the following Tuesday with our friend Dr. Barry Hayes. This is becoming a regular activity for us now. Barry is leading us through various exercises in group dynamics, communication skills, etc. I am pleased to say that several of the brothers noted that of all the others who have come to do this work with us, Barry has made folks feel the most at ease. Finally Wednesday there was a Rec Day, and I went to town with several brothers. We all did our various activities and then met for lunch and ice cream before returning, as usual, for an evening convivium. And I home to pack.

What was odd, having enabled my away message on both email addresses, finished the final run-through with Zacc and Martin (the prior’s secretary) and answered the last phone message––when I got up in the morning, around 3:30 AM, I was startled to realize that I had nothing to do. I do not boast of this, but I often will answer a host of emails before 5:00 AM, using the excuse, and it is somewhat true, that we have extra data. But the truth is, I wake up raring to go, with many things on my mind, and over my first cup of tea in my kitchen cranny I fire away, especially personal emails that have gone neglected in the onslaught of official stuff. I had no emails to answer, no meetings to prepare for, no homilies to write. It felt like suddenly walking into a silent room after being caught in a traffic jam.

Vigils, packed the car, Lauds, and then the brothers prayed over me, as is our custom when someone takes a long trip. I asked my Domestic Council and our staff member Jordan, who is in charge of the cars, if could have our old Subaru Outback station wagon for the three months, since it would be a lot less expensive than plane, bus and train tickets. Besides that I had an Outback for eight of my years up in Santa Cruz, which served me quite well indeed (maybe this was just a nostalgic grab). And if it gave out along the way I could just junk it and catch a ride. But Zacc and Jordan both convinced me instead to take the 2011 Prius that someone had donated us recently, which I like a lot more than I thought I would (I used to say, “I don’t trust a car I can’t hear coming.”) So that is what I have for the time, the back packed with extra provisions for the two of the three months stateside, plus the backpack with just the basics.

It was interesting, driving away, I often like to listen to the news on satellite radio, but I did not this time. I wanted only my “Anjali mix,” that is, my yoga music. Why is it that in times when I am busy with things to do it is comforting in some way to listen to the news? Is it the same reason a high-strung person is drawn to things that speed one up even more? Is that a good description of society at large? More! Louder! Faster! Keep going!



Thomas Merton is patron saint of our information-saturated age, of we who live and move and have our being in social media, and then, desperate for peace and rest, withdraw into privacy and silence, only to return. As we always will.[1]
                                                                                                            Alan Jacobs
July 1

My first stop was at the meeting of the International Thomas Merton Society being held at Santa Clara University this year. The organizers had asked to do some kind of presentation for the opening night, pretty much leaving it up to me to decide just what that might be. I came up with a presentation, on which I have worked very hard over several months, called “Hidden Manna: Dialogue with the World through Poetry and Song.” Basically it was/is musical settings of poems that treat of spiritual or transcendental themes with a few ancient sacred texts thrown in as well. There was a good deal of scripted speaking in the presentation as well, telling about the poets themselves and allusions to some themes of Merton. There were a few pieces that I had either never or rarely performed before, which made it interesting for me. I was accompanied by my good friend Joe Hebert, the exceptional ‘cellist from Oakland. It was quite well received and I thought we performed very well. I may turn the script into a separate blog post so you can see what the poems were and why and how they tied in with the famous Trappist.

Happily, they had provided me with a room for the entirety of the conference, so I availed myself of some of the talks and events the next day. But I had also agreed to do a presentation at the Google headquarters in Mountain View that Friday at noon. This was arranged by our oblate and friend David Hallowel, who actually works for Google in Seattle but found an excuse to come down to the California campus for this. One of the monks wrote me already asking me if I had become a “beeg shot.” He was n doubt remembering the well-known Bishop Robert Barron did a talk there last year that went viral. Actually, this was not for “Google” itself; it was for a fellowship called Catholic Googlers. I don’t know how many came or tuned in to Bishop Barron’s, but our gathering was about a dozen gathered around a conference table. It was also broadcast worldwide, which made me momentarily nervous, but that also consisted in three other people logging in from Seattle. Still, crowd size never had mattered much to me, and I launched in with a couple of songs to begin and end, and then spoke on the Silence, the Word, the Music and the Dance. Whenever I did a retreat or conference during most of the Santa Cruz years on the road it was inevitably SSB:UCC––Spirit, Soul and Body: the Universal Call to Contemplation, a theme I could riff on endlessly. I have now, thanks to Bruno, found my new ostinato.

At the ITMS gathering itself, I was able hear a good deal of Robert Ellsberg’s talk. He was one of two people I planned on meeting at others’ recommendations. Bob is the son of Daniel Ellsberg of the Pentagon Papers fame. I wish I could remember all the details of his story; what I do remember is that he read Thomas Merton’s antiwar writings as a teenager and that was an integral part of his conversion to Catholicism. In the mid-1970s he wound up being the editor of the Catholic Worker newspaper and also a type of literary secretary for Dorothy Day herself. He is also the biographer for her canonization process. He went on to become the publisher for Orbis Books, the very prestigious theological imprint that does a lot of work in interreligious dialogue, including the Omnia Opera of Raimundo Panikkar. I was able to thank him for that, carrying Volume 1 of it with me as my sabbatical read, Mysticism and Spirituality Part One: Mysticism, Fullness of Life. We had a brief warm lively conversation, having been mutually recommended to each other’s company. I also met with Jon Sweeney, a fellow publisher of Bob’s, this time for Paraclete Press. He had been recommended to me by three different folks before the conference, and had written to me himself. He is a very sharp guy, formerly an evangelical from Wheaton College and Moody Bible Institute, also now Catholic, relatively recently. Both of these men’s insights into theology and contemporary culture were very welcome.  As David Brooks called for, a return to “Public theology.”




[1] “The Modern Monkhood of Thomas Merton,” Alan Jacobs, New Yorker, Jan. 16, 2019.