Saturday, July 20, 2019

listen to the silence


July 16, 2019

The state in which I am at peace with myself is the first and only possible step toward bringing peace around me––a harmony that gushes forth and envelops all creatures, thereby transforming our whole being.
Panikkar

There was a gathering in nearby Aspen this past weekend in honor of Fr. Thomas Keating. I had heard a little about it but nothing that really grabbed my attention. I found out later that it was quite a wonderful multifaceted interspiritual gathering. (I have never grown used to that word “interspiritual” but apparently Fr. Thomas grew to use it as well.) The event included several people I know. Cynthia Bourgeault was the organizer of the event, and our friend Rory McIntee was part of it. He is one of the authors along with Adam Bucko of the book The New Monasticism and who also lived with us for six months a few years ago. Eric Keeley, the young monk who drove me up to this hermitage in 2017, with whom I sat on the porch and talked for a long time, was also there. Eric was very close to Fr. Thomas, acting as his secretary the last years and even going to Spencer with him for his final convalescence. He disrobed the day after Thomas died.

I am sort of glad I had not heard more about the gathering earlier; I would have been sorely tempted away from the solitary mountaintop to take part in it. Ah, the lure of shiny distractions, even if they be spiritual ones.

At any rate, the gathering occasioned me having four visitors up here. Yesterday I was taking a morning walk down the mesa on the long dirt road when about a third of the way down I saw a man coming toward me with sun hat and a backpack, looking obviously as if he was intentionally out for a hike. When I got close I said hello and he told me he was going up to see the hermitage. Apparently Eric had told him about it, not knowing I was staying up here, and he wanted to see it because of its connection to Fr. Thomas. It winds up this gentleman was Ted Jones, Fr. Thomas’ nephew from Massachusetts, who was also here for the event. (It was his brother Peter who did the fine film about Thomas.) It was from Ted that I learned the full scope of the event. I accompanied him the rest of the way up to see the place, brought him inside and had a nice conversation, and then walked with him all the way back down the hill. He had some marvelous anecdotes, having been with Fr. Thomas round the clock the last weeks of his life.

Ted and I just touched on one aspect of which I was glad to be reminded. It was one of the things that I spoke with Fr. Thomas about when I came to see him in 2010, and again when I had the long visit with him two years ago––how he was fascinated with theories about the self, the disappearance of the self, the experience of no-self. At the time, besides Wilber’s book, he had also recommended to me Reza’s (I forget his last name) book on ibn al-Arabi, Shankara, Meister Eckhart concerning that topic. I felt a little pang of guilt that I have not gotten to that yet, or actually I tried to start it and it didn’t grab me. Maybe now.

Later that afternoon I heard a car and then a woman’s voice calling out, “Excuse me!?” I came out to the front door––it was a hot day and I was wearing only my blue running shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt––and she yelled, “Are you one of the monks?” My outfit did not give any evidence of that, apparently. I gave her a short version of the story, and she told me that one of the monks had told her that she could come and hike around, and she was sorry to disturb me. I said, no problem. She came to the front gate and called again about a half an hour later. There are a lot of cows roaming all over this mesa from all the way down on the road to just about right outside of my window. And apparently the cows were blocking the path that she wanted to take. She told me that she had been singing to them and that she had asked their permission to share this sacred space with them, but apparently they weren’t having it. She said they looked a little hostile to her. I am not sure why she felt the need to tell me all that, but she then asked my pardon again for disturbing my peace. I gave her absolution, blessed and bid her farewell, saying, “You did not disturb my peace.”

Then today I headed down in the big old GMC Yukon that the monks loaned me for my stay to get some produce for an evening salad, which I have been craving, and as I drove back up there was a Toyota Prius parked halfway up the dirt road, just where it starts to get the roughest. I had to drive around it off-road, which was kind of fun. (Actually given the size of this truck compared to the little Prius I had a vision of driving right over the top of it, like a monster truck.) As I got a little farther up the road I spied two guys walking, again rather intentionally, and I recognized Rory immediately. Ted had just told them that I was up here, and Rory wanted to come and say hi (and also see the hermitage) and he brought a man named Justin with him. Justin had been a monk of this monastery some years back but had never seen the new version of this hermitage. He confirmed that originally there was just a hunter’ shack here with plexi-glass porch and an outhouse. I invited them in for tea. This even more did not disturb my peace––in the least.

Rory is now working on his doctorate out east, writing his dissertation on the new monasticism. He was a long time devotee of Wayne Teasdale as well as of Fr. Thomas. He had also organized the interspiritual Snowmass Gatherings here, also under the blanket of the new monasticism. He is very well read and knows almost everybody I know and then some. Justin is also a fascinating well-read guy and a great conversationalist. Now married and an Episcopalian priest serving as a pastor in Vermont, when he left the monastery, at Abbot Joe’s recommendation he first went to Japan to study Rinzai Zen in a Buddhist monastery for three seasons. He too knew several people that I know, including the monks of Incarnation from his years studying at the GTU. He also knew Fr. Thomas for many years and does a spot-on imitation of his voice. He told us several anecdotes as well, in Thomas’ voice, which had us laughing hysterically. We talked for well over an hour.

At one point a huge rainstorm hit, and it made me think of Scholastica and Benedict, but it did not last long. They too apologized for disturbing my retreat, but I told them that I learned about these things from Catherine de Houeck Doherty’s book Poustinia years ago. The authentic poustiniki is a hermit with the door open. And it was a good time for me to reflect on lo these many things with a couple of kindred spirits. Guests come to us bringing gifts.

In my slow read of Panikkar (Volume I.I of his Opera Omnia) I just finished a section on Silence. He elucidates the importance of listening, and even calls the art of listening “obedience” (ob-audire).

Obedience means not only to hear, attentively and precisely, the words of others, but to listen to the silence that is in their words, which becomes a revelation only for the loving listener.
I hear the words while receiving the word, and this receiving is incarnation.

It reminded me of one of the things that Fr. Thomas said to me when we met last, concerning meditation and the manta. “At some point,” he said, “you just listen to the silence.”