Saturday, July 20, 2019

an embarrassment of riches

July 15, 2019

Seek the answer in God’s grace, not in doctrine;
in the longing of will, not in understanding;
in the sighs of prayer, not in research;
seek the Bridegroom, not the Teacher; …
darkness, not daylight;
and look not to the light but rather to the raging fire
that carries the soul to God with intense fervor and glowing love.
                                         St. Bonaventure, Itinerarium Mentis

I’m staying at the McCartney Hermitage in Snowmass, Colorado, about four miles from St. Benedict’s Trappist Monastery, elevation 8,700 feet surrounded by 13 to 14,000 foot peaks, still snow covered. There are storm clouds passing to the west sending a cooling breeze through the windows as I gaze out at Sobres Peak.

I got here last Thursday, having just come from three nights and two wonderful days with my sister and her family in Grand Junction, Colorado, about two hours east of here. I had driven there directly from San Juan Bautista, well, actually staying one night in beautiful Barstow, California. I kept saying that I was longing for solitude and the desert. And I got it in spades as soon as I drove away from St. Francis Retreat House where I had spend the weekend with our oblates and friends for our annual retreat. Driving through the Mojave Desert and into Nevada was about as I had expected, having made that trip once before. But then you leave Nevada, cross through a little corner of Arizona and into Utah, and at that point, driving northeast toward Colorado there is a hole lot of nothing for well over two hundred miles. I kept passing sign after sign that announced the name of some village or town, none of which I could ever see, that also announced “No Services.” The mighty Prius was doing fine but it was untested on the long climbs that one had to make and there was also no phone signal. I was relieved to finally come upon one big service area about halfway across. I stopped for gas and a bathroom break and said to the man behind the counter, “I’ve just driven through hours of nothing!” And he responded dryly, “And you got another 100 miles of nothing ahead of you. That’s why we let you drive 80 miles an hour.” I must say, I drank in the stark beauty of the landscape. Having well shaken off prioral responsibilities the week at Tassajara, by the time I left the oblate retreat I was starting to feel pulled into the vortex of leadership and administration again, but the long drive through the desert relieved me of that.

I arrived here on the feast of St. Benedict, symbolically and not completely unplanned. The Abbot General Fr. Seamus, an Irishman, and his secretary, Fr. Simeon from Spencer had also arrived from Rome that morning, as well as the abbot of Tarrawara in Australia. They are all here for a meeting of English speaking abbots. (Fr. Simeon, by the way, is an old friend of our Fr. Isaiah who quotes him often in homilies, Simeon being quite a scripture scholar as well as a linguist––hence his job for the Abbot General. He came and introduced himself to me by his birth name, Erasmo, and reminded me that we had met before at the Hermitage.) I arrived just in time for a festal lunch––salmon, and dessert, wine and beer, ice cream and chocolate cake––with the tables arranged in a triangle and silence lifted for the event.

It was nice to see all the brothers again, though I did not get one single name right outside of the new and soon-to-be-consecrated abbot Charlie. They have had equivalent loss to us here just the past two years. Fr. Thomas Keating was here until being moved back to the infirmary at Spencer shortly before his death. But the Abbot Joe who succumbed to a recurrence of a swift moving cancer preceded him in death by only a week or so. Also three of their younger monks have left, one in solemn vows, one in simple vows and a novice. This is actually my sixth visit here, stretching back to about 1985 when the place was in its glory years. My host then and for my next two visits (1990 and 1999) was the infamous Fr. Theophane Boyd, of Tales of the Magic Monastery fame. I distinctly remember Theophane telling me about his encounters with Ken Wilber and an image that stuck in mind (whether it was completely true or not). He said that Ken lived on top of a tower in a big room that was divided in three parts––a library, a gym, and a zendo. There it was––the very embodiment of integral spirituality! As a matter of fact Ken’s relationship to this place does go back decades. It began with his first wife who was a Catholic, and continued through many encounters, events and podcasts with Fr. Thomas. Last time I was here Fr. Thomas recommended Ken’s latest book to me, The Religion of Tomorrow.

That last time I was here, in 2017, I had been invited to offer the community their retreat. It was during that visit that one of the novices, Eric, who has since left the community, drove me up here for the first time to show this place to me. Even then the idea of coming here to use this hermitage planted itself in my mind and I mentioned the possibility to Abbot Joe who was very open to it. So as soon as I started planning this sabbatical I wrote to the monks here and requested the same.

It’s funny; the monks are a little embarrassed about this place. Apparently at one time it was little more than a hunter’s cabin and when it came time to renovate it a bit whoever was in charge got carried away. It’s an approximately 30 by 20 foot square brick one-room house on a solid foundation, with a 15-foot pitched ceiling, totally fitted as any domestic dwelling would be, including water, propane and tons of solar energy. One the monks said it was more like an Aspen ski chalet than a hermitage, but that’s a bit of an exaggeration. It is all carpeted, however, and there is a full kitchen and bathroom, as well as a spacious covered front porch. The main feature is its incredible view of mountains that surround it.

I am not embarrassed at all by the riches and am deeply grateful and drinking it all in with joy. There are certainly remnants of others having used the place––bits of food stuff and old jigsaw puzzles!––but I am told it is not used very much at all anymore. I know Abbot Joe used to come here, and I believe Fr. Thomas did as well. It didn’t take me long to turn the house into a home. I spent the first afternoon rearranging the furniture and adjusting the curtains and blinds just so. One of the nice surprises is a framed giclèe of Emmaus’ popular painting of Romuald in ecstasy. There was an old zabutan in the closet and I have placed that right under the holy father. There is also an old stereo up here (I am starting to get the impression from the microwave popcorn and light reading material that this has actually been used more for a getaway then a hermitage…) and I was of two minds as to whether or not I should make use of it, but I succumbed and plugged my iPhone, which holds so much of my favorite music, into the speaker and often play it softly in the background. It’s an odd thing that I actually rarely if ever hear any of this music on anything but the small portable speaker that I keep in my cell at home, so it’s a pleasure that I get to hear it on real full sized speakers in real stereo! One little concession to luxury... I can almost hear our Ignatius say, “Is there no end to the decadence?”


Though this is bigger and much better equipped than my poustinia in Corralitos, I have felt the same kind of lightness and freedom here that I used to feel there for the first time in seven years. Of course there is the luxury of not answering to anyone else’s summons––including no Internet or phone––and to be able to use that to find my own rhythm of prayer and meditation, yoga and exercise, with only a few books, my computer and my guitar, none of which are any distraction. It feels as if both of my lungs are open.