Monday, August 12, 2019

a concert on the roof

12 agosto, 2019

We knew the world backward and forward,
so small if fit in a handshake,
so easy it could be described with a smile
and as plain as the echoes of old truths
and a prayer. (Wisława Szymborska)

Last days in Rome…

As I said, Laura had invited me to her house Thursday evening. It sounded like she had an interesting family and that was true. She framed it also as an occasion to practice my Italian––even though they all speak English. She met me by the Circo Massimo and walked me about a mile to their home. I felt a little bad; she had asked me a few days before how I liked Rome and I had said that really I didn’t like Rome very much––too crowded and noisy and too darn many monuments to popes and cardinals. She only showed a micro-emotion of disappointment, but I caught it and tried to cover my culo by saying that I preferred Florence because that was my first experience of an Italian city and that by this time I preferred living in the woods, etc. etc. etc. But, undaunted, here she was telling me all kinds of tales as we walked about all the famous ancient places and stories about the various neighborhoods. Maybe suffice it to say I am still daunted by the place, but I have found a few neighborhoods that I like. (I actually was not all that fond of Florence either the last time I visited. I found it too very crowded and noisy.)

As we approached their apartment, her son Ricardo and his Dutch fiancé were just arriving along with Laura’s sister Paula. She exhorted them immediately, upon greeting me in English, to only speak Italian. Ricardo is involved in some kind of start-up dealing with fashion, and his fiancé is studying for her doctorate in Milan. I’m not sure what Paula does except she is well traveled and a student of Asia and its religions, having been to India often.

As soon as we walked in it reminded me a lot of my friend Stefano’s home in Florence where I spent many a happy evening, which was also the first place I went outside of the protected walls of a monastery when I was studying Italian there in 2000. As is usual, there living spaces are smaller than ours in America––we are so spoiled!––but there were shelves floor to ceiling filled with books and all kinds of objects scattered around, and pictures and images hanging on the walls. Obviously, like the Rossis, I was dealing with a pretty cultured and educated family. This was no surprise after my conversations with Laura. (One of the first things I saw, coincidentally, was a book of the poems of Wisława Szymborska in Italian. I have so rarely run into her poetry, but apparently she is better known in Europe in general. I had just sung a setting of one of her poems for the first time at the Merton Conference.)

We met Laura’s husband Piero as soon as we entered the apartment, and he too was told sternly to only speak Italian. Piero is an economist by trade, but also an amateur guitarist, and a pretty good one. Well, he had already watched some of my You Tube videos and very much wanted to talk about and share music. We went immediately to a room that was pretty much dedicated to guitars with at least six in a row hanging from the wall, three electric and three acoustic, including a 12-string, a Martin and a big box Gibson, and of course a couple of small amplifiers.

That’s when I suddenly realized that I knew none of the vocabulary that deals with music or guitars. The one thing you would think I would know a lot about maybe? Tuning. Bridge. Frets. Pick. I did know the word for “song,” at least.

I got out of the discussion about guitars by asking him to sing something for me and he did so gladly. He first sang two songs in Romanesco, the dialect of Rome, which he had written, and then a third in English, which he had also written. And then he brought me out into the living-dining room to play for me another song off the computer that he had written and recorded, called “Christmas Don’t Be Late,” also in English. In it he was addressing the economic crisis in a humorous way. He was a little disappointed when I told him that there was already a song in English called “Please, Christmas, Don’t Be Late,” and even more taken aback that it was sung by chipmunks. I was trying to explain all that, but that’s pretty subtle in any language. (“And just why would there be a song about Christmas being late sung by chipmunks? And who the heck is Alvin?”) In the end we pulled it up and YouTube but he didn’t listen to much of it, deciding that the chipmunks were really no competition for him because their song was un diverso genere di musica.

We then sat down a wonderful evening meal prepared by Laura––fresh pesto, deviled eggs with stuffing unlike anything I have ever tasted, and a lemon pudding prepared by Paula with fresh lemons from the Amalfi coast. ‘Nuff said? And that’s when the bufera di parole began––“a storm of words” (a phrase I got from my Italian confrere Marino in Fano).

I had passed onto Laura the article by David Brooks about Marianne Williamson and the dark psychic force, and Laura wanted me at some point to explain that to everyone else as we had spoken about in our lessons. So she primed the pump by mentioning climate change, and then son Ricardo started holding forth at great length, speaking very fast and maybe with a Roman accent. Then he and his father got into a spar and it seemed to range from climate change to Italian politics and every now and then I heard the word fascismo (many are worried about Salvini moving in that direction, with a Rosary in one hand and a DJ’s microphone in the other) and the press and Donald Trump. Every now and then Ricardo would turn to me and ask me something. I would ask him to say it again a little slower. No help. They were all polite enough and carried on without me. At one point Laura asked me to translate the article for everyone, which I had on my phone. I just held up my phone and showed the article to Ricardo, and he read it to himself and nodded, and then turned back to argue with his parents. The only thing I was able to interject was that we needed a spiritual revolution and solution.

Anyway, after that Piero suggested that we move up onto the terrazzo and perhaps I could sing a few songs for them. So we climbed up to the roof where there were already chairs set up, and where it was indeed quite a bit cooler, and I set myself to play and sing. There was a lot more successful––and I was actually able to explain the songs in Italian in that more controlled environment. I have always found that Italian audiences are more appreciative, and in a different way, than American audiences. I am not sure why, perhaps both the combination of someone from outside of their culture singing and the depth of cultural experience that they naturally have.

Anyway, they were kind of mesmerized by the songs. Piero certainly knows American/English pop music pretty well, and we were joking about this being my version of the Beatles concert on the roof––“concerto sul tetto”––except that I first of all called it my “concert on the ceiling.” Piero really wants me to come back when I pass through Rome again on the way back from Sicily, but I am not sure I will have the time.

All in all it was really a fun and memorable evening, and a fine summit of a wonderful week in Rome.


After that, nothing much on the weekend except enduring the scalding Roman summer, wow. I headed to the gym again for another nice long session on Saturday, then had Mass with Innocenzo and the nuns at Sant’Antonio on Sunday, pranzo with the brothers, and then headed to the train station for the always enchanting journey from Rome up to Arezzo and Camaldoli, from where I write to you now. More on that later…